Monday, July 20, 2009

Bihac

I took a 7 hour bus trip to the northwest corner of Bosnia to Bihac. I walked all around town trying to find an tourist info and then to find an internet cafe. It was soo hot! But I used the internet and saw that I had a place to stay and that I should get a taxi there.
When the taxi was driving me further and further out of town I began to wonder where we were going! But then I saw a sign for Bjeli sport and knew we were on the right track.
We got near the end of the road and saw a man wearing a speedo washing some vans that said Bjeli sport white water rafting and knew I had come to the right place!
They have a tiny pool and I got my own room with a tiny window facing the mountains! They hardly spoke english, but they were very friendly and I felt completely relaxed.
The next day I walked to a little spring near their house and then went with Bjeli to learn to role the kayak. It was tough because he had to tell one guy who then told me, some things were lost in translation, I'm afraid. I tried but I couldn't make it. I would like to take some classes when I get home.
A girl from Slovenia and her family stayed at Bjeli's place that night, they did night rafting and went out drinking, it sounded like fun but I was already signed up to do rafting the next day.
The girl was about my age and worked for Princess cruise line, hearing her talk about it made it sound like a lot of fun and you get to travel all over the world! Maybe I'll look into working on a cruise ship?!
The next day I went white water rafting, unfortunately it was pouring down rain which delayed our start, then I got a ride with a van of rowdy 45 yr old men and it was too much for me, I was overwhelmed and ready to just get on the river!
When we finally got on the river our boat had 9 people! and we went down a 5m fall and the guy in the back next to me fell forward and cut open his eyelid on the person in front of him! He needed 7 stiches! I hit my head on the person in front of me and it still hurts!
There was a few big rapids at the begining then a long time of very flat water. It was not as good as eastern washington. I thought I would be english speaking boat, but although everyone else could speak and understand english they mostly spoke in Croatian/Bosnian and I never really knew what was going on. It make it boring.
Sad, because I love white water rafting at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment