Saturday, June 20, 2009

Munich to Zagreb

I landed Thursday evening in Munich after a very long trip from Seattle. I found my way easily to Jenn and Travis' apartment.
During my layover in Vancouver, a young guy asked to exchange some money with me so he could pay his bill at the restaurant, he gave me a little over 9 euro for 10 dollars! That's probably the best exchange rate I'll get all trip!
On Thursday night Jenn and I grabbed a bite to eat at a little organic cafe and went to join her friends at a beer garden. We got there after they stopped serving beer outside (boo) but it's understandable, this place was 3 times the size of Linda's patio and packed with beer drinking Germans. The noise level must get very loud and it is surrounded by apartments. I wished I had taken a photo before it started to clear out. We moved inside to get a beer and had to wait forever.
I was running on empty after my long flights, just on autopilot. And was glad to lay down. But I hardly slept! I made the mistake of looking at my watch to see that it was 3:30 in the afternoon at home!
The next day I walked to Marianplatz to go to T-Mobile and get my train ticket to Zagreb.
I decided to take the night train, even after reading the warnings against it about robbers gasing traveler's sleeper compartments and stealing their valuables.
Jenn and Travis came with me to the train station and I got a beer and some chocolate for the trip. Everyone was buying beer, I thought I was in for a wild night.
But my couchette slept 6 and it was full and everyone was ready to go to sleep when the train left.
I drank my beer in the hallway with a guy traveling down to Bosnia for his cousin's wedding, but he had to miss out on the reception party to return to Germany to take exams. (bummer!)
The trip was uneventful, I learned that I can't sleep on a train, packed in a tiny hot compartment with 5 strangers. I heard the robbers boarded our train while it was traveling through Austria, but they didn't come to our car.
Today I arrived in Zagreb, the capitol of Croatia at 8:30am. My Mom's friend's friend's friend Mario met me at the station and took me on a tour of the city. It is pretty awesome people can be so dang friendly. He also majored in tourism and is happy to share his city with travelers.
I was going to couchsurf, but decided to book a hostel when it started to rain and I was running low on energy.
Mario was very nice, he showed me around the city and bought him lunch to thank him for the personal local tour. We picked up my bag from the train station and parted ways. I was hoping to relax in my hostel.
It was pouring earlier. I thought i left Seattle! I wish I had my rain boots, my chaco's got soaked!

Tomorrow I will take the train to Zadar to begin my Southward journeys along the Coast.

*this computer is blocked so I can't upload photos, I will add some later!

4 comments:

  1. We are so glad you made it OK! Looking forward to your photos! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great start to the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beck, we met on a flight from .. I think seattle to Vancouver? Anyway I was the babbling weirdo ... and am so very happy to see you being so adventurous. You're an awesome person :)

    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just home from Montana, and glad to be able to read your posts. Please stay away from those night-time robbers!

    ReplyDelete