Thursday, August 13, 2009

Biohof Adam

I am volunteering at the Biohof Adam - the organic farm of the Adam's family. It consists of Franz & Maria, the father and mother, Hannes, Werner & Gerti (3 children in their 20's), 12 cows, ducks, chickens, turkeys and cats(Felix, Lily and a few others).

They have vineyards, animals and produce.

I had an awesome room with a double bed, a desk and couch, I had a beautiful view out my two little windows. I had my own shower and bathroom. I almost didn't want to leave it!

Because of the language barrier, we never discussed when I should get up for breakfast, when I should start helping or finish for the day, when I could take breaks and for how long.
So I just came down around 8, ate breakfast and sat in the kitchen until someone said to come help them. Or I wondered around the farm looking for someone working and asked if I could help them.
Other times I wanted to leave what I was doing to use the restroom or get some water, the son would ask oh would you like to take your break now? You don't need to hurry back.
One time I went to the bathroom and sat in my room reading and couldn't put my book down! I felt bad for being gone so long, but when I returned to help again, he said I hadn't been gone long at all!
So I guess they are just happy for some help and they aren't picky with how long you help or if you don't want to do something you don't have to.

For the first couple days we got the wine ready to bottle, then I helped bottle and cork wine. It was fun, but hard work. The next day my muscles were sore!
A bag or 500 corks cost around 150Euro! man I didn't know cork was that expensive, now they are starting to switch to metal screw top lids. Hannes' said they work just as well, are cheaper and have less problems than cork.
Did you know cork can have a bad smell and ruin a good bottle of wine?

I helped glue labels on juice bottles, and harvest potatoes.

One day I had to be down at breakfast at 7am, so I could go into town to help with shopping. I went with the mother and father, so I didn't really understand what was going on.
We went to one store that sold wine bottling supplies, gardening supplies, flowering plants, household supplies, some snacks and clothing! I couldn't figure it out! I guess that's what you get in a small town near wineries and farms.
We went to 2 different grocery stores of the same name, a pharmacy, and some other stores.

Since it's an organic farm, they don't have much machinery and we did most things by hand!

I went to a soccer game with the two boys, in Graz. Austria vs. Montenegro. It was a shut out! Austria won 5 to zero! It was a pretty fun game!

The language barrier kind of sucked at the farm. The parent's don't speak much english and I know very little german so we either had to have one of the kids translate or we used hand motions and I tried to do what they asked!

Overall it was fun and the family was super nice. We both love cats and Hannes and Gerti have even been to Costa Rica. The family does a lot of traveling and I invited them to come visit me in Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment